Sunday, 29 January 2012

Realization

I will save the world,
and do what I must to prove my seriousness about my aspiration
of becoming a superhero.

It is a sunny day in Vancouver,
and out of the blue
I spot a young boy pounding the pavement with his miniature hands.
He is a young gorilla,
wild and carefree.

The air becomes musky from engine smoke
and my vision blurs.
Although I never had let my surroundings affect me before.

Scanning the suburban street slowly,
I spot someone in distress.
At the corner of Yukon and West 12th Avenue a man cries out,
I am so hungry I could eat a horse,
I am so hungry I could eat a horse!

He seems well fed and does not look ill of any sorts,
still I make a few mental notes to help this poor chap out -
when I am suddenly distracted by the movement of his plump hands.

They appear to be moving in the sense of that famed song,
Thriller, the one with the zombie dance sequence.
My cousin Megan had always enjoyed the hit song,
she told me she had heard it over one thousand times!
I cannot say that I enjoyed listening with her.

A car on the bustling street honks,
and I come out of my scattered thoughts.
The man on the corner is nowhere to be seen,
the sky has returned to a bright blue.
Perhaps everyone I know is correct,
my dream of becoming a superhero is too farfetched!

/ This is a poem reflecting my experiments with sound and imagery. It was a piece of work we were required to write in class, where we were given amusing prompts to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment