I had always enjoyed the Winter season,
the heavy downpours of egg-white snow
reminded me of my favourite dessert,
vanilla ice cream.
Which I would often eat on those
long summer days,
in the backyard of the vacation house.
You know,
the one with the perfect picket fence,
rented out to different families each summer.
It holds too many memories,
that to document them all you would
have to fill over a thousand medium sized whiteboards,
at least.
The once pristine exteriors
are met with chipped paint.
The wooden porch,
eternally dampened from the endless pairs of feet,
bearing saltwater with each back and forth trip
from the sunsoaked beach.
The clouds had never appeared so close,
the seagulls so pallid,
a single feather -
too striking to simply leave lying on the boardwalk.
Looking back,
I now realize that my love for vanilla ice cream,
is not for the melting mixture of milk, sugar and cream
I thought it was.
/ This poem was my 'List' poem that we were required to include on our blog. One day in class, we were told to list 'white' items on a piece of paper, and then proceed to use our selected words in a poem. My list wasn't very long, and I was unsure how to approach this piece. Anyways, enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment